Sunday, July 6, 2008

saved by nino

I have been sleeping outside all year for years now and have only had one opossum jump on my bed as I screamed my head off. Another time a raccoon was above my head on the Deck peering at me when I had some food in a pot on the porch to keep cool at night. The food attracted the racoon and I never did that again.

Durning the rainy seasons of the year I sometimes sleep in a wet soaking bed from one pin hole in the plastic I put over me. When it snows I feel the weight of the snow and see why people are buried alive in a avalanche. I hear trees crashing down all around me when the snowfall gets too heavy. I breath smoke all night from the forest fires in the summer and fall. In thunder and lighting storms, I see big fireworks show in the sky.

A coyote runs the yard and checks out the chickens and cats along with the raccoons, foxes, a team of dogs and skunks. I have heard humans running the lawn after midnight to check out our cute girls or to go on a wild adventure they think no one will know about. I have found strange humans in our barn working that we don't know or wild teens running their cars around our field. Sometimes they are inside the barn. I have heard two car crashes with drunks and checked them out. All the neighbors and family in the house never heard a thing. Then there is the contant running of the official race track on the Dead Indian late at night, that is in front of our home.

This morning I had a weird fly hatching fall all over my face, hair, pillow, covers and bed. But the hum ding er was last night. At 1:oo in the morning the twins and a friend were coming in from their movie and seeing Nial. Weston and I were talking at my bed as he wanted to drive to the coast just then because he wasn't sleepy and I was saying no. We suddenly heard what sounded like a major cat fight, down the driveway. Weston ran to watch it and saw what looked like a big bobcat jump across the creek. Two people driving by our house over the years said they have seen a cougar in our yard but we didn't believe them, as we have a large orange cat that is a hunter, and thought they had seen him.

Then at 3:00 in the morning I suddenly woke to a loud crash. Shira's male cat Nino who sleeps under my bed, jumped out and started his loud cat attack noises. A couple of days before, what sounded like a wild cat fight with lots of noise, movement and crashing, was going on beside my bed. I started yelling to stop it, to whatever it was, hoping my eyes wouldn't be clawed out if they jumped on the bed. Now a bobcat or cougar seemed to be checking out the cat dishes I had forgot were beside the head of my bed. I sat up and have a big stick beside my bed to bop out of control wild animals. Nino put up a big noise for me and I got up to fight. All this didn't even wake up Dennis, it never has over the years.

I guess with the heat, wild animals are coming down from the mountains for water in our creek and then check out food and human smells. I hate to move inside, because the most fun I have in a day is sleeping outside. The stars, moon, space stations, jets fresh air and sweet smells are so fun, I love it. (Some wild animals have a horrible smell as they pass, however). Oh well maybe Nino will keep saving me or I will be attack and drugged into the bushes for some thing's dinner.

3 comments:

Tiana Johnson said...

Very funny mom, though this story makes it sound so horrible, and we wonder why you do it if it's so rough! Hope you stay safe!

John-Maren Goodman said...

how adventures~! It's sounds so crazy and fun! You get to see all of life happen around you while your loved ones sleep! pretty wild!

The Georges said...

That was just Tasha and I just re-living old times in the driveway lastnight! Bet you didn't even know we were in town.
Love,
Lisa